Monday, April 21, 2008

30 Rock


I admittedly do not watch much TV. As a music geek, I always feel I'd rather be listening to tunes instead of committing time to television. But every once in a while a show comes along that just hooks me in. Good TV can be great (Twin Peeks, The Wire, Cheers, Six Feet Under, Freaks and Geeks, The Sopranos, Lost) and bad TV makes me want to throw my television out a window. Because of this, I usually don't get into a show until after it's been on for a while.

I was in my local library a few weeks ago and came across the DVD set of "30 Rock"-Season 1. I'd read good reviews and loved Tina Fey on SNL's Weekend Update so I though I'd give it a shot. I am SO glad I did. "30 Rock" is like a comedy show from heaven. For those who don't know, "30 Rock" is a fictional behind the scenes look at a weekly NBC comedy series. Tina Fey plays the witty producer (Liz Lemmon), Tracy Morgan plays the shows star (Tracy Jorden), and the absolutely hilarious Alex Baldwin plays NBC "Head of East Coast Television and Microwave Oven Programming" (Jack Donaghy).

The show works so well for me because
A. It's smart
B. It's hilarious
C. Plot lines follow from week to week
4. It has some of the best ensemble acting I have ever seen in a comedy.

Tina Fey has to be the most talented comedy writer/actor working on TV and Alex Baldwin steals every single seen he is in. His character will go down in history as one of television's all time greats. Two of his character's big TV show ideas included a 3 Hour "Salute to Fireworks" (in which the entire city of New York thought they were under a terrorist attack) and "Milf Island".

Do yourself a favor and check out the show if you've missed it. Season 3 has just started but you can watch Season 1 and 2 over at Netfix. You can also watch all of Season 2 at the amazing legal streaming site known as Huku.

No comments: