Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Changing of the Guard


I am still trying to put words together to describe the amazing range of emotions I feel today. While I sat watching President-Elect Obama's speech from my hospital bed last night, I felt more connected to my country then anytime in my 38 years. All of my emotions were captured in the eyes and faces of the celebrating crowds that were shown in Chicago, Harlem, Washington, and Kenya. I felt like the entire world let out a collective breath last night and that America showed that we are indeed a better nation that the one we have displayed the last 8 years.

I have never looked at Barack Obama as a black man. I have always looked at him as an inspirational American. But seeing the complete shock and tears of happiness on the faces of our African-American population last night brought home to me just how historic this election was. It brought home how far we have come as a nation and how thirsty we are for a positive figure to (as Bruce Springsteen recently commented in Obama rallies) "rebuild our broken house".

There is no doubt in my mind that we have made the right choice at this time in history. As I type this, Sam Cook's "'A Change is Gonna Come" happens to be playing on my satellite radio (thanks to the awesome Vin Scelsa) and tears are streaming down my face. I am thinking about all the wrongs we need to right in the country and throughout the world. I know this will not be easy, but I know in my heart of hearts that we have picked the right person to lead us in the right direction.

Below, you can enjoy a music mix I threw together to try and express some of the emotions I feel today.



No comments: