Friday, January 30, 2009

Desperate Man Blues


Hello again friends. Sorry I haven't posted in almost 2 weeks. I just haven't felt inspired by anything enough to share with you. That was until today.

Thanks to the nice folks at Pitchfork, I watched an amazing movie tonight that just made my weekend. The film is documentary on renowned 78 record collector and radio personality Joe Bussard called "Desperate Man Blues".

Joe has been collecting country, blues, and jazz recordings from the 20's and 30's for over forty years and has amassed a collection of over 25,000 platters. Watching the shear joy in Joe as he spins a Charlie Patton side reminds me of why I gravitated towards music in the first place. It lifts your soul and makes you forget the world around you, if only for 2 or 3 minutes.

For the same reason I love Bob Dylan's Theme Time Radio Hour, this film helps educate (all who are lucky enough to see it) on just how many musical treasure are out there that you won't find on ITunes. It almost makes me want to through my MP3 player out the window. Almost.

Enjoy the film (for one week only) below. Long live vinyl!!!!

No comments: