Saturday, April 10, 2010

Mark Olson and Gary Louris-Live

When I first heard The Jayhawks masterpiece "Hollywood Town Hall" in the early 90's I wasn't sure what to think. I was deep into Sonic Youth at the time and the Jayhawks blend of Neil Young, The Byrds, and Gram Parsons was just not my thing. But after a few listens I began to fall in love with the record the same way I did Bob Dylan and The Beatles classics growing up. The writing, the harmonies, and the great guitar playing became exactly what I was looking for, even though I didn't know it. It's impossible to count how many times I've played that album, as well as the band's subsequent releases. It now feels like I've been with this band all my life.

When Mark Olsen left the group after only 2 major releases, I was sure they were finished. But Gary Louris carried on the band name and made altogether different sounding albums, that were just as good in their own right. But nothing can compare to the way these two guys sound together. When the two finally got back together last year to make the low-key "Ready for the Flood", I assumed a full scale Jayhawks reunion was eminent. While that still hasn't happened, we have that album and this great document of their acoustic tour. Enjoy!

Watch Mark Olson & Gary Louris and other great gigs on Moshcam.

No comments: