Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Fleet Foxes in the Morning

In a year full of amazing albums, I think my favorite may still be the Fleet Foxes "Helplessness Blues". These guys blew me away on their debut a few years ago and certainly did not disappoint with their sophomore effort. Theirs is the kind of sound that wouldn't have sounded out of place in 1969 or 1970, yet it doesn't feel dated or derivative in any way. And those harmonies are truly something of beauty to hear. Name one other band that comes close to this sound today....nope you can't.

And while I liked their first album when I first heard it, their songs did not sync in with me until I heard them live on an NPR broadcast. They simply blew me away with how they were able to translate those rich textures and vocals into a live setting. Today the band stopped by KCRW to do a gorgeous 40 minute Morning Becomes Eclectic set. Brew some of your favorite tea, crank the volume, and enjoy it for yourself below:

Fleet Foxes-KCRW Studios: September 28, 2011
The Plains/ Bitter Dancer"
"Mykonos"
"Battery Kinzie"
"Sim Sala Bim"
"The Shrine/An Argument"
"Grown Ocean"
"Helplessness Blues"

No comments: