Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Career Opportunities


I would like to preface this post by saying how blessed that in the current economic environment, I HAVE a job. Unemployment is one of my biggest fears in life; not just financially, but because work is where we get a huge portion of our sense of purpose. But Good Grief, staying positive while working in current Corporate America is tough sometimes (for various boring reasons).

NOTE: I did not write this post at work!

I was brought up to work and work hard, but thought work was just a place to go for 8 hours and earn a paycheck. The concept of actually "liking" your job is so foreign to me. I think the people who actually do what they WANT to do and enjoy it are the luckiest people on the planet. The older I get, the more I think about this concept. How much is a paycheck really worth? In the 50+ hours a week that I work, do I provide and bring something useful good into the world? Again, with the recent struggles in the economy, I realize these thoughts are a luxury I am blessed to be able to have. It's just lately I am realizing that liking what you do for a living and having inner balance and happiness in your life do go hand and hand.

So, for all those out there having issues finding, keeping, or even loving your jobs, I hope these songs can bring you some catharsis and temporary relief.











1 comment:

Lauri Lumby said...

I am one of those lucky few people who LOVE their job and their life....and it was certainly not easy getting here. I had to leave behind the "perceived surety and perceived security" of a regular job, regular paycheck and insurance. I found I could no longer ignore the truth in me that kept hounding me to do something different, something more in resonance with my gifts and how I was being called to share them in the world. Using sound spiritual practices, I moved through my fears (I did not overcome them) and left the bureaucracy of institutional work and have my own business under my own terms. I LOVE what I do and am humbled by all the ways I get to help other people grow, heal, find their own fulfillment because I had the courage to go where my truth was leading me. That being said, it sure isn't for everyone as I get paid on a wing and a prayer, a hope and a dream and insurance is optional. :)
Lauri Lumby
Authentic Freedom Ministries
http://yourspiritualtruth.com