Monday, April 23, 2012

Fare Ye Well Levon

Last week we lost one of the true greats; Levon Helm. His unique voice was simply untouchable in terms of power, sweetness, and soul. I can't help but feel he was one of the few remaining links to a better, truer time in music. But based on all the outpouring from younger artists lamenting Levon's passing, I trust the toarch will continue to burn. No one can listen to that voice and not be moved!

Bob Dylan: “In response to Levon’s passing: He was my bosom buddy friend to the end, one of the last true great spirits of my or any other generation. This is just so sad to talk about. I still can remember the first day I met him and the last day I saw him. We go back pretty far and had been through some trials together. I’m going to miss him, as I’m sure a whole lot of others will too.”

Jeff Tweedy: “Levon was the glue, not just in The Band, but in all of what people think of when they think of North American music. He was a great unifier; a great glue. He unified blues and country, rural and city, and even North and South. Luckily he showed us all the way to keep it together and let it swing.”











No comments: