Monday, February 11, 2008

Songs Dave Likes

Since I am still numb from the excitement of last nights Grammy Awards show, I thought I would just put up some songs I've been grooving on lately.

Bob Marley and The Wailers-Caution
This is a great Wailers single from 1970 that I just heard for the first time today. You can find it on the amazing "Songs of Freedom" box set. Being a cold February in Wisconsin, this song is just what I needed to lift my spirits. I think Paul Simon has heard this once or twice because it sure sounds a lot like his "Mother and Child Reunion" track. Just listen to that killer reggae-surf-style guitar and you gotta love Bob singing "Hit me from the top, you crazy Motherfunky". The only bad thing about this is that it's 3 minutes too short.


Rickie Lee Jones-Show Biz Kids
This is one of my favorite covers by the tragically underrated Rickie Lee Jones. She not only has impeccable taste in covers (check her 2 covers discs "Pop Pop" and "It's Like This"), but she completely makes them her own. Dig her beatnik take on this Steely Dan classic. And if you don't own Rickie's original album "Pirates", you need to open a new browser window and go buy a copy. You will thank me later.


Windmill-Tokyo Moon
Thanks to Blogs much cooler than mine, I have discovered some great bands lately. Check out the debut album from Windmill called "Puddle City Racing Lights". Windmill is basically the brainchild and project of one Matthew Dillon. This amazing CD has an art-rock heart but without the pretension. This is anthem rock for people who never go see The Who and have no friends. Enjoy the opening track of the CD.


Levon Helm-The Mountain
Levon Helm is one of my favorite voices in all of music. And we almost lost it forever. In early 2000 when Levon was diagnosed with throat cancer everyone assumed he would never sing again. Boy were we wrong. Levon released the Grammy Award winning "Dirt Farmer" last year and it is truly a joy to listen to from start to finish. As big of a Steve Earle fan as I am, Levon's cover of Earle's "The Mountain" just slays the original in every way.

No comments: