Thursday, September 18, 2008

Joe Strummer-The Future is Unwritten


Last night I watched one of the best music documentaries I've ever seen; "Joe Strummer: The Future is Unwritten."

I have been a longtime Clash fan but honestly did't know much about their history. After watching this amazing film, I am now convinced that Joe Strummer is one of the most important figures in rock and roll history.

The film tells the story by letting Strummer do a lot of the talking culled from interviews and his amazing "London Calling" radio show. Directed by the great Julien Temple, it also features an amazing array of folks talking positively and negatively about Joe; including former band mates, Bono, Flea, ex-wives, ex-girlfriends, and old friends. It all adds up to a fascinating look at an amazing artist and person. At the end of the film, I felt like I had lost a dear friend even though I knew nothing about him when the movie began.

The film also uses an amazing soundtrack of Clash tracks along with some of Strummer favorite tunes by artists as varied as Nina Simone, Eddie Cochran, Tim Hardin, and Bob Dylan.

After spending 10 lost years following the breakup of The Clash, Strummer finally got his passion back for music before his untimely death in 2002. What I love most about the film is that it makes you realize how fleeting this life can be and that you need to embrace it every minute of the day. In that regard, Joe Strummer is one of the few music artists that I now hold up as a hero. His is a life to truly celebrate.

Watch the trailer for this fantastic film here:
www.ifcfilms.com/viewFilm.htm?filmId=415

1 comment:

23/7 said...

hi David. just found your cool blog thru a link on The Steam Engine. diggin the stuff you have here for sure.
please check me out at http://23-7.blogspot.com and if you like maybe you could add me to your links. i plan on adding your blog to my recommended links....
thanks!