Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Shine On You Crazy Diamond


With all that has been going on in the world lately, I did not give the recent passing of Pink Floyd's Richard Wright much thought until today. While I rarely listen to them anymore (thanks to classic-rock radio burnout), Pink Floyd provided one of the huge soundtracks to my youth.

It is really easy to take Pink Floyd for granted these days. But when you really step back and think about the type of music they were making at the time, it truly was groundbreaking stuff.

And Richard Wright was there for it all (until Roger Waters fired him during the making of The Wall). His keyboards were as intrigal to Floyd's sound as David Gilmore's guitar. He also wrote two of my favorite songs on their career masterpiece; Dark Side of the Moon. Below are live clips of those tracks.

Richard, thanks for all of the great music and say hi to Sid for me!



No comments: