Sunday, September 18, 2011

The Lost Notebooks of Hank Williams


A Bob Dylan-produced project of modern artists recording lost songs by the late great Hank Williams featuring Dylan, Norah Jones, and Jack White? Bring it on!

Growing up, I never appreciated country music at all. But thanks to my love of Dylan, The Grateful Dead, The Byrds (with Gram Parsons), and eventually bands like Uncle Tupelo and The Jayhawks, country music seemed to seep into my brain to the point where it feels like it's been there all my life. And maybe it's some of the life changes that happen to many a 40 year old dude, but the lyrics of Hank Williams have simply rocked my world over the past few years. I can't think of another artist who wrote with such simplicity, yet perfectly was able to capture the various emotions that all of us go through at some point in our lives. Hank was country music that even a city kid could fall in love with and when I hear him sing, I feel like I have some sort of musical guardian angel playing me songs. Thanks Hank!!

Check out a short documentary about the project below:

The Lost Notebooks of Hank Williams EPK from Columbia Records on Vimeo.

No comments: