Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Freak Out with "American Horror Story"!


Watching the pilot episode of the new TV mindfuck "American Horror Story" I was immediately transported back to 1990 when I first saw the pilot for the Godfather of all TV mindfucks; "Twin Peaks". Which is to say that is the ultimate compliment I can heap on a TV show. Like "Peaks", "American Horror Story" transports us into a sexy, wild world where we are never quite sure what's real or imagined. Where the unseen is more frightening then what is obvious and on the surface. Both shows push boundaries and make you scratch your head and say, "did I really just see that on my television"?!

Without giving too much away....troubled family moves into scary, freaky house with a murderous history, with Jessica Lange as the weirdest neighbor you wish you never had. And that's just where the sexy, frightening fun begins. The show is scary, but not in the traditional sense of "boo"! It is unnerving to the point where I had to pause it and check email just to get some sense of reality for a minute. Did I mention it's also sexy as hell? Not to give anything away, but if what went on in the first 70 minutes of the pilot continues for the series, this show may help troubled sex lives all across the country.

As someone who has never been a huge fan of weekly network TV shows, I can honestly say that now because of the abundance of cable channels and the loosening of allowable content, television seems to have surpassed film as far as creative, smart, boundary pushing quality programming. "American Horror Story" has me more excited for any TV show since HBO's masterpiece "The Wire".

BOO!!!

No comments: